What Is CrossFit?
CrossFit is a combination of constantly varied functional movements performed at high intensity.
- Why constantly varied?
- When the physical demands of your body are constantly changed, it requires adaptation to the movements that are introduced.
- Why functional movements?
- Whether you are planting in the garden, lifting your grandchildren or running from the rain, functional movements are performed daily and our ability to perform those movements with certainty is important to our general physical preparedness.
- Why high intensity?
- Interval training, or mixing bouts of work and rest in timed intervals, is one of the keys to developing the cardiovascular system. It is also a key component in controlling the metabolic pathway that is utilized during exercise.
What if I am not an athlete but just want to be healthy?
CrossFit is measurable and modifiable. In other words, each movement is completely scalable and can be accomplished by anyone, no matter your fitness level. At C2L, progression is our focus. For those who have never performed these movements, know that you will have the guidance to start where you should and end up where you want to be.
An effective approach……
In gyms and health clubs throughout the world the typical workout consists of isolation movements and extended aerobic sessions. At CrossFit, we work exclusively with compound movements and shorter high intensity cardiovascular sessions. We’ve replaced the lateral raise with push-press, the curl with pull-ups, and the leg extension with squats. For every long distance effort our athletes will do five or six at short distance. Why? Because compound or functional movements and high intensity or anaerobic cardio is radically more effective at eliciting nearly any desired fitness result. Startlingly, this is not a matter of opinion but solid irrefutable scientific fact and yet the marginally effective old ways persist and are nearly universal. Our approach is consistent with what is practiced in elite training programs associated with major university athletic teams and professional sports. CrossFit endeavors to bring state-of-the-art coaching techniques to the general public and athlete who haven’t access to current technologies, research, and coaching methods.
At CrossFit C2L we utilize conditioning methods involving functional body weight movements: (bear crawls, inch worms, planks, burpees) as well as the use of weights (kettlebells, wreckbags, dumbells, barbells) and pay close attention to the following ten, recognized fitness domains:
- Cardio respiratory endurance
Have more questions? Please feel free to reach out to us directly.